Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tropical Cyclone Phyan – As it happens….

Your roving reporter is on the spot as Phyan comes ashore at Mumbai. Current time 2.45pm and the rain has eased a little, but only a little. Is this the ‘the eye’ I wonder? Its dark outside or almost so and the shear intensity of the rain is amazing, its not hugely windy (yet) but it is eerily cold. The weather forecast says its 30C but I don’t think so, more like 15C. Now this is a low temperature even for the middle of a cold night in winter here so you may imagine how spooked the locals are. Currently forecast to come directly overhead at between 7 an 11 this evening, so the next few hours will be interesting.
I have experienced some really heavy rain in my time, tropical thunderstorms in Malaysia, Monsoon storms in India but the shear intensity of the rain that we have experienced in the last four hours eclipses anything I have experienced previously, god only knows what it must be like in a real Hurricane / Typhoon.
We’re shutting the factory and preparing to go home early and I’m wondering just how I am going to get from my office to my car about a hundred meters away without being drenched to the skin! I have to say that its all rather exiting at the moment, big weather always turns me on, its not very photogenic though with next to no light and a fug of rain and cloud. Hopefully we’ll get some thunder and lightening action before to long to spice things up a bit.
Just heard that although we are supposed to be leaving early but the roads are ‘jammed up’ so I don’t quite know what we ill end up doing or when exactly I will be home….
More later.

2 comments:

  1. you will know when the eye goes over as the sky will be blue, and there will be no wind. but not for long...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well if it comes over when it's dark i guess the sky won't be blue...

    ReplyDelete